Celebrity chef Mario Batali accuse details alleged groping in sexual misconduct case

Celebrity chef Mario Batali accuse details alleged groping in sexual misconduct case

Celebrity chef Mario Batali, who is charged with indecent assault and battery, waived his right to a jury trial Monday in the sexual misconduct case he is facing in Boston. Batali, 61, is accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman after taking a selfie with her at a Boylston Street restaurant in 2017.Jury selection was set to begin Monday in Boston Municipal Court; however, Batali opted for a bench trial. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of indecent assault and battery.Following opening statements, Batali’s accuser took the stand and explained what happened the night she saw Batali and took photos with him at the restaurant.”He had one of his arms around me , and his face was pressed up against mine,” she said. “He was kissing the side of my face, and he had his other arm wrapped around the back of me, and that is what we see in the photo.”The woman said while they were taking the photos, Batali’s hands were in “sensitive areas” touching her body.”He kept saying, ‘One more, one more,’ to get another selfie,” the accuser tested as the photos were shown in the courtroom. She said she was standing next to Batali, who was seated at the bar, as she took the photos.”His right hand is over my breast, all over my rear end, in between my legs, grabbing me in a way that I’ve never been touched before like that,” she said. “Like, squeezing in between my legs, squeezing my vagina to pull me closer to him — as if that is a normal way to grab someone — just between the legs to pull them toward you.”Batali’s lawyer Anthony Fuller argued the assault never happened and that the accuser isn’t a credible witness and has a financial incentive to lie. “She’s not being truthful,” he said. “This is being fabricated for money and for fun.”The trial has been delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic; however, during his 2019 arraignment, Batali pleaded not guilty to the charges. If convicted, Batali could face up to two and a half years in prison and be required to register as a sex offender. Several other women have previously come forward to allege sexual misconduct by Batali. Batali stepped down from daily operations at his restaurant empire and cooking show “The Chew” in December 2017 after four women accused him of inappropriate touching.Batali has offered an apology, acknowledging the allegations “match up” with ways he has acted. fans and my team,” he said in an email newsletter at the time. “My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.”Batali opened a branch of the popular Italian food marketplace Eataly in Boston in the downtown Prudent ial Center in 2016 as well as a Babbo Pizzeria e Enoteca in the city’s Seaport District in 2015.Batali has since been bought out of his stake in Eataly, which still has dozens of locations worldwide including in Boston, and the Babbo restaurant in the city has since closed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Celebrity chef Mario Batali, who is charged with indecent assault and battery, waived his right to a jury trial Monday in the sexual misconduct case he is facing in Boston.

Batali, 61, is accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman after taking a selfie with her at a Boylston Street restaurant in 2017.

Jury selection was set to begin Monday in Boston Municipal Court; however, Batali opted for a bench trial. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of indecent assault and battery.

Following opening statements, Batali’s accuser took the stand and explained what happened the night she saw Batali and took photos with him at the restaurant.

“He had one of his arms around me, and his face was pressed up against mine,” she said. “He was kissing the side of my face, and he had his other arm wrapped around the back of me, and that is what we see in the photo.”

The woman said while they were taking the photos, Batali’s hands were in “sensitive areas” touching her body.

“He kept saying, ‘One more, one more,’ to get another selfie,” the accuser tested as the photos were shown in the courtroom.

She said she was standing next to Batali, who was seated at the bar, as she took the photos.

“His right hand is over my breast, all over my rear end, in between my legs, grabbing me in a way that I’ve never been touched before like that,” she said. “Like, squeezing in between my legs, squeezing my vagina to pull me closer to him — as if that is a normal way to grab someone — just between the legs to pull them toward you.”

Batali’s lawyer Anthony Fuller argued the assault never happened and that the accuser isn’t a credible witness and has a financial incentive to lie.

“She’s not being truthful,” he said. “This is being fabricated for money and for fun.”

The trial has been delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic; however, during his 2019 arraignment, Batali pleaded not guilty to the charges.

If convicted, Batali could face up to two and a half years in prison and be required to register as a sex offender.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Several other women have previously come forward to allege sexual misconduct by Batali.

Batali stepped down from daily operations at his restaurant empire and cooking show “The Chew” in December 2017 after four women accused him of inappropriate touching.

Batali has offered an apology, acknowledging the allegations “match up” with ways he has acted.

“I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team,” he said in an email newsletter at the time. “My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.”

Batali opened a branch of the popular Italian food marketplace Eataly in Boston in the downtown Prudential Center in 2016 as well as a Babbo Pizzeria e Enoteca in the city’s Seaport District in 2015.

Batali has since been bought out of his stake in Eataly, which still has dozens of locations worldwide including in Boston, and the Babbo restaurant in the city has since closed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.